Installing DataStax Enterprise on any Linux-based platform or Mac OS X
Install DataStax Enterprise on any Linux-based platform, including 32-bit platforms.
- Latest version of Oracle Java SE Runtime Environment 7. See Installing Oracle JDK.
- Java Native Access (JNA) is required for production installations. See Installing the JNA.
- If you are using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, you must update to JNA 3.4, as described in Installing the JNA on Debian or Ubuntu systems.
- If you are using an older RHEL-based Linux distribution, such as CentOS-5, you may need to replace theSnappy compression/decompression library; see the Release Notes.
The binary tarball runs as a stand-alone process.
These steps install DataStax Enterprise. After installing, you must configure and start DataStax Enterprise.
In a terminal window:
Check which version of Java is installed:
$ java -versionUse the latest version of Oracle Java 7 on all nodes.
Download the tarball from the Download DataStax Enterprise page.
You will need the DataStax account credentials from your registration.
Unpack the distribution:
$ tar -xzvf dse-4.0.x.tar.gzNote:
For production installations, DataStax recommends installing the OpsCenter separate from the cluster. See the OpsCenter documentation.
Removing the datastax-agent package also removes the DataStax Enterprise package.
When DataStax Enterprise is started, it installs files into the
/var/log/cassandra directories. If you do not have root
access to the default directories, ensure that you have write access:
$ sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/cassandra; sudo chown -R $USER: $GROUP /var/lib/cassandra $ sudo mkdir -p /var/log/cassandra; sudo chown -R $USER: $GROUP /var/log/cassandra
If you do not want to use the default data and logging
directories, you can define your own directory locations:
Make the directories for data and logging directories:
$ mkdir install_location/dse-data $ cd dse-data $ mkdir commitlog $ mkdir saved_caches
Go the directory containing the cassandra.yaml file:
$ cd install_location/resources/cassandra/conf
Edit the following lines in the cassandra.yaml
data_file_directories: install_location/dse-data commitlog_directory: install_location/dse-data/commitlog saved_caches_directory: install_location/dse-data/saved_caches
- Make the directories for data and logging directories:
DataStax Enterprise is ready for configuration.